Introduction to KWS
Delivering innovative digital experiences for kids often requires publishers to handle sensitive or personal kids’ data. Under COPPA and GDPR-K, you need to obtain verified parental consent (VPC) to do this.
By ensuring that you have the correct parental consent process in place, you can enable a richer online experience for your younger audience. For example:
|Camera access||By obtaining consent to access a kid’s camera, you can enable kids to:|
– share photos or videos in your creative community
– join in live augmented reality games
|Email address||By obtaining consent to collect a kid’s email address, you can:|
– invite kids to join your loyalty club
– keep kids engaged by sending them the latest news and updates
– derive insights from your own focus group
|User-generated content (UGC)||By obtaining consent to gather a kid’s UGC, you can:|
– build a vibrant community powered by moderated content from kids
– enable kid-safe, compliant competitions for awesome prizes
|Location||By obtaining consent to access a kid’s geolocation, you can:|
– allow kids to find each other or to connect to your service using GPS
– power real-time AR experiences
For more information, see Set up AR location-based games.
|Push notifications||By obtaining consent for kidsafe push notifications, you can drive retention and return visits through compliant web and mobile notifications.|
For more information, see Set up push notifications.
KWS enables you to request and manage verified parental consent easily and in compliance with data privacy regulations around the world.
What is KWS?
KWS is a parental consent verification tool that:
- enables publishers easily to fulfill their obligation to obtain consent from a child user’s parent (or legal guardian) to process their child’s personal data.
- enables verified parents/guardians to manage the permissions for apps or websites to process their child’s personal data.
KWS enables kids’ publishers to build safe, responsible and high-performing sites and apps for under-13s and their parents. It provides a COPPA and GDPR-K-compliant framework for your platform so that you can focus on creating awesome content.
What are the key features of KWS?
KWS includes an abundance of customisable features to help you increase user acquisition, retention and engagement, generate insights from your audience, and reach the whole family with parent-specific engagement tools.
The Control Panel is KWS’ main dashboard. It enables you to create, edit and manage your apps/websites and associated permissions in one simple dashboard.
For a full description, see About the Control Panel.
The Parent Portal is KWS’ permissions management dashboard for verified parents. It enables parents to:
- provide verifiable consent for the collection of their kids’ personal data in compliance with COPPA/GDPR-K.
- manage their kids’ accounts and permissions on multiple apps and websites, all within one simple dashboard.
For a full description, see About the Parent Portal.
White-label KWS environment
You can seamlessly integrate KWS into the aesthetics of your app and brand. For more information, see Branding.
KWS currently supports the following languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), and Thai. For more information, see Localisation.
Sending push notifications
KWS enables you to send kid-safe, COPPA-compliant push notifications to your users across web and mobile. For more information, see the Push notifications use case.
Use your imagination…what can you create? KWS’ flexible HTTP API allows you to hook in custom functions.
Optional KWS user account management
In addition to managing permissions and parental consent for your app, KWS can be used to manage your app’s user accounts. This service comes with an out-of-the-box multi-app single sign-on (SSO) which you can customise with your own branding. For more information, see About KWS kid account management.
What are the benefits of using KWS?
Remove legal complexity and cost
Standardised, optimised and best-in-class infrastructure for all your critical data collection flows. Fully COPPA and GDPR-K compliant.
Industry-leading conversion rates
KWS provides the world’s largest verified parents network, sharing verifications across all of its clusters.
Capacity to handle millions of concurrent users, automatically scaling services up and down based on usage and use cases.
Out-of-the-box, easy to integrate APIs.
Distributed globally to adhere to local legislation.