About display names
When a new user signs up to your app, you may want KWS to generate a unique display name for that user, as shown here:
To enable this, you need to provide a list of nouns and a list of adjectives. When a new user signs up, KWS randomly chooses a noun and an adjective from these lists. It then concatenates them, along with a random four-digit code, to form a unique display name; for example, ‘GreenTiger2738’.
Set up nouns and adjectives
To define the nouns and adjectives that will be used to generate random display names for your app:
- Log into your KWS Control Panel and select the app for which you wish to set up your display name nouns and adjectives.
- Under the Settings submenu, click the Display Names tab.
- To add a new noun or adjective, enter it in the relevant box, followed by a space.
- For adjectives, you can choose whether the adjective should come before or after the noun by clicking the Before button.
- To test the display name generator, click Generate.
- Click Save.
Localise your app’s display names
The default language in the Display Names view is English. To provide nouns and adjectives in other languages, select the required language from the dropdown list on the right-hand side, and then enter your nouns and adjectives as described above. Remember to specify whether the adjective comes before or after a noun in the selected language.
For grammatically gendered languages, you must specify whether a noun or adjective is masculine or feminine. Select the noun or adjective to display the Grammatical Gender buttons, and then click Masculine or Feminine to assign a gender to the selected noun:
API endpoint for display names
GET /v2/apps/:appId/random-display-name – This endpoint returns a randomly generated display name based on the nouns and adjectives you have provided for the app. The display name is checked for availability against other user’s display names in the same app. If no words are set for the current language option, it attempts to return an English display name.