This flow illustrates a use case where the developer requires the following:
- Users below the legal age thresholds (kids) to supply their parent’s email address
- These kids will gain access to the app after completing the sign-up process but features that require parental consent will be disabled
- Kids can then (progressively) request access to these features from their parents
- Users who are above the legal age thresholds do not provide their parent’s email address
- These users will access the app straight away
- They will have access to all features that would normally be disabled for kids who are pending parental permissions
If you’re developing an application that you know will attract a significant number of users who are both above and below the legal age thresholds we recommend this flow. This way you will avoid treating all users as kids while at the same time remaining legally compliant (hence increasing your conversion funnel).