In this flow, all users get immediate access, but kids require parental consent for additional features:
When to use this flow
If your app or website will attract users who are both above and below the legal age threshold, we recommend this flow. It avoids treating all users as kids while ensuring legal compliance, thus increasing your conversion funnel.
About this flow
During sign-up, the user must provide their date of birth.
If the user is below the age threshold (i.e. a kid):
- The kid must provide their parent’s email address.
- On sign-up, the kid gets immediate access to the app, but features that require parental consent are disabled.
- The kid can then progressively request access to the disabled features from their parent.
- The parent manages the kid’s permissions using the KWS Parent Portal.
If the user is above the age threshold:
- The user does not provide a parent’s email address.
- The user gets access to the app and all its features immediately.